Need infor on lever action .22

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ekim1999
Beginner

Need infor on lever action .22

Post by ekim1999 »

I have a Marlin Lever action .22. Would like to know what model it is. Markings on receiver "Marlin Safety". Markings on barrel all the Patent dates up to Mar. 1, 1892. I assume it's .22, but is not marked on barrel. If it is a .22 which of the rounds would it fire, short, long, or long rifle. Also would modern rounds be OK to fire in it? It has a 20" octagon barrel. Serial number 242304, I checked on the Marline site and says it was made in 1902. Any information would be helpful.

Mike
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Need infor on lever action .22

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mike;

According to the old factory records, you have a Marlin Model 1897 since it is marked "Marlin Safety". The model marking should be on the upper tang, behind the hammer. If you have a tang mounted sight, you would have to remove that to see the model marking. The records show that it left the factory in early 1902. It is a .22 caliber gun. Unfortunately,the records show that it left the factory with a 24 inch octagon barrel.
It is not okay to use modern, high speed ammunition in a Model 1897. Use of that type of ammunition will crack the breech bolt if has not been cracked already from others using high speed ammunition in it. You can use either standard velocity or target ammunition.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
ekim1999
Beginner

Post by ekim1999 »

I would like to post a photo of the barrel of this gun, but don't know how to attach on.

MIke
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mike;

Instructions to post photos are on the section titled: NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS The very first post by Road King will tell you how to go about posting photos.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.