Attention 1881 Marlin Owners!

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

desertminer
Beginner

Re: Attention 1881 Marlin Owners!

Post by desertminer »

Update on how things are progressing:

Currently at 415 rifles recorded with another half-dozen or so waiting to hear back from different people or organizations.

I am still working to identify the rifles of the two men mentioned previously.

The SEM and XRF tests came up with some interesting results, but were unable to provide carbon content (which was expected). I have an idea of what the metal may have been but I am waiting to have more information before I would feel comfortable saying. I am looking into digestive methods of analysis that would be able to provide carbon content.

and as always, if you have a rifle you would be willing to have me record, or any information at all about 1881 rifles in general, I would love to hear from you at 1881marlin@gmail.com

Cheers,
Corbin
desertminer
Beginner

Post by desertminer »

It has been a while since I posted an update about my project, but I am still working away on it.

I am up to 536 rifles recorded. Here are some neat highlights of things I have found:

I found the earliest 2nd variation rifle that I have seen, SN 283. The earliest 2nd variation I had previously heard about was SN 285, so that wouldn’t be too far off.

I was able to record an 1881 housed at the Tombstone Historic Courthouse in Tombstone, Arizona. The rifle was owned by a market hunter that supplied meat to the town. He never returned after one of his hunting adventures and the rifle was the only means to identify his body when he was found. The rifle is in 45 Govt, and would have been made ~1884. It isn’t known how or when he died.

I was able to record a 4th variation rifle with the “Browning Bros Ogden, UT” mark on the barrel. I had only seen one other 1881, a 3rd variation, with that mark on it but unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get the serial number for the 3rd variation gun. I know there are many Winchester rifles marked from the Browning Brothers Sporting Good Store but I have not seen many Marlins. This makes sense of course given Brownings’ relationship with Winchester.

As always, if you have a rifle you would like to share with me I can be reached at my email, 1881marlin@gmail.com. I am working on a Facebook page to help expand the audience that I can reach with information about the rifle in hopes of getting more rifles in to record. It will be able to be found on Facebook under the name 1881 Marlin and it will be labeled an educational page or an educational website. I also plan to include information about the MFCA as well to hopefully reach folks whom might be interested in joining but just don’t know about the organization.

Thanks,
Corbin
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Corbin,
I like your project!

This will not be of a lot of help but coincidentally, this 1881 is up for sale in an auction which is hosting some firearms that I am connected to. I do not, however, have any connection or info on this particular one, but perhaps you or someone else will want to chase it down to add to your list of information. I'm sort of interested in going after it myself, but a bit short-funded at the moment.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milit ... n/54477651
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gentlemen;

As a 'heads' up", the factory records show this serial number, 12035 as a .45-70 caliber gun, shipped with a 28 inch octagon barrel. It appears that the barrel has been shortened. It was shipped in December of 1885. The auction company states 1882, so they have that incorrect also.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Wish this data gathering had started prior to me disposing of most of my 1881 Marlins! At one time I had a small group of a dozen, and might still have the factory letters as I usually kept them when I sold the guns. I still have three left, so will check serial numbers, and send the info to you.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Hi Corbin I emailed two more Canadian Model 1881s to you, serial numbers 12582 and 7301. I hope these are new to the data base.
Brian
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
desertminer
Beginner

Post by desertminer »

Brent,

Thank you for passing this along! I have recorded it. I check gunbroker, gunsinternational, Proxibid, and iCollector every day, and then I keep tabs on about a dozen auctions houses that have their catalogs online to make sure that I see them when they are posted. But guns do slip through so I’m thankful for the help!

Rick,

Thank you for the heads up; I will note that it has been cut. I have seen a good number of auctions with 5 digit serial number guns that are *just sure* it was a first or second year gun.

Marlinman93,

I would really appreciate that! Even if you pass on just the three that you still have, any number of rifles help! If memory serves me right you had the E Flues 1881 as well; I would love to have you write up something about that to include when I do have a book made. I know you did quite a bit of leg work to collect the information and back history on that rifle and it would be a shame to not share it. I am planning on having a section with mentions of rifles with notable provenance (I have about 20 currently), and ‘Gunsmiths’ are one of the categories I would like to cover. We can discuss this more later but having information on a gun like that is something I would be pleased to include! And of course, all credit where credit is due.

Brian,

Thank you for those! Both were new to me and unaccounted for. With those two included I’m now up to 539. I found another hanging on the wall of an old gun shop.

Cheers,
Corbin
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I also have two 1881 relics, but pretty sure one wont reveal a serial number. It was dug up in a farmer's field in Southern Oregon, and I purchased it just because it is an 1881.
The other was found near Wounded Knee, and was laying in tall grass for who knows how many decades. But due to it not being in a wet climate, and not buried, I think that serial number is legible? Have to look at both and see what might be revealed?
Will check all my records, and the guns, and get what I have to you.
desertminer
Beginner

Post by desertminer »

Relics are always welcome as well! I have recorded a few in relic condition and usually note them as such. That would be the second 1881 I have heard of from Wounded Knee. I recorded a rifle from an auction in 2016 that supposedly had written provenance as having been picked up after the Massacre. Feel free to contact me in whatever way works best for you. I can provide you with additional forms of contact if you would like. Ill look forward to hear from you!
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

desertminer wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:22 pm It has been a while since I posted an update about my project, but I am still working away on it.

I am up to 536 rifles recorded. Here are some neat highlights of things I have found:

I found the earliest 2nd variation rifle that I have seen, SN 283. The earliest 2nd variation I had previously heard about was SN 285, so that wouldn’t be too far off.

I was able to record an 1881 housed at the Tombstone Historic Courthouse in Tombstone, Arizona. The rifle was owned by a market hunter that supplied meat to the town. He never returned after one of his hunting adventures and the rifle was the only means to identify his body when he was found. The rifle is in 45 Govt, and would have been made ~1884. It isn’t known how or when he died.

I was able to record a 4th variation rifle with the “Browning Bros Ogden, UT” mark on the barrel. I had only seen one other 1881, a 3rd variation, with that mark on it but unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get the serial number for the 3rd variation gun. I know there are many Winchester rifles marked from the Browning Brothers Sporting Good Store but I have not seen many Marlins. This makes sense of course given Brownings’ relationship with Winchester.

As always, if you have a rifle you would like to share with me I can be reached at my email, 1881marlin@gmail.com. I am working on a Facebook page to help expand the audience that I can reach with information about the rifle in hopes of getting more rifles in to record. It will be able to be found on Facebook under the name 1881 Marlin and it will be labeled an educational page or an educational website. I also plan to include information about the MFCA as well to hopefully reach folks whom might be interested in joining but just don’t know about the organization.

Thanks,
Corbin
Here are some pictures of the Rifle you talked about from Tombstone. I had submitted this post a few years ago.

https://marlin-collectors.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=24801
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

desertminer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:02 pm marlinman93,

It is good to hear from you. While researching 1881’s I ran across the story you shared of how you were able to track down and put together information on Emil Flues. I was very impressed by the amount of work you did to put the story together. If you would allow me, I would really like to record that rifle and to save that story in as much detail as you would like to share. Currently I have 4 rifles recorded with Swiss butt plates.
Did you get my email with the 1881 data I sent you?
desertminer
Beginner

Post by desertminer »

Brian,

Thanks for sharing your post! I am in talks with the Park manager currently to get the rest of the information I need to complete my entry. They are planning on relocating the gun from its current exhibit to another part of the museum.

Marlinman93,

I did, and just sent you a reply!

Cheers,
Corbin
desertminer
Beginner

Post by desertminer »

Thought it time for an update!

Currently up to 584 rifles recorded. One of the guns I've been able to record was a rifle that was found in a river in California gold country in the 40's. It was cocked and loaded when it was found and still remains so today. It was frozen in place.

I have also been able to get my Facebook page up and running, for those that use it. It can be found by searching for '1881 Marlin' and has an 1881 rifle set against a black backdrop. I am hoping to catch some traffic there to increase the number of rifles I can pull in.

As always, if anyone has an 1881 that they would like to share you can reach me here, on my 1881 Marlin Facebook page, or you can message me at 1881marlin@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Corbin