Marlin 336 32 special

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Matt Satan
Beginner

Marlin 336 32 special

Post by Matt Satan »

Hello I have a near perfect unfired marlin 336 32 special
I cant find a serial number the only numbers I found are a 2 on the bottom of the barrel near the breach under the forarm.The letter z under the stock on the right side and the numbers 39602 also under the stock on the left side.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you Matt
I would post photos but no idea how.
shootrj2003
Marksman

Re: Marlin 336 32 special

Post by shootrj2003 »

On a 336 it could be under the lever stamped on the trigger iron or on the tang behind the hammer ,on the weird chance that someone replaced the trigger iron with one that was unnumbered,let's say your rifle was serial numbered on the trigger shoe,and they wanted to make a straight grip into a pistol grip OR they wanted to make a pistol grip into a straight grip,they may have replaced the original serial numbered trigger iron with one from a year that had the serial number behind the hammer on the tang,in that case there would be no serial number evident,however,when the serial numbers were stamped on the trigger shoe under the hammer those years were also serial numbered on the side of the upper tang hidden under the wood inlet ,so if you don't find one take the butt stock off by removing the tang screw and sliding the stock back and off and look there...I hope this helps.
In your case you say you found a z on
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

I trying to help you out with some important info that took a long time to write ,sorry it's not your fault but some cut out half my answer to youj
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

On a 336 it could be under the lever stamped on the trigger iron or on the tang behind the hammer ,on the weird chance that someone replaced the trigger iron with one that was unnumbered,let's say your rifle was serial numbered on the trigger shoe,and they wanted to make a straight grip into a pistol grip OR they wanted to make a pistol grip into a straight grip,they may have replaced the original serial numbered trigger iron with one from a year that had the serial number behind the hammer on the tang,in that case there would be no serial number evident,however,when the serial numbers were stamped on the trigger shoe under the hammer those years were also serial numbered on the side of the upper tang hidden under the wood inlet ,so if you don't find one take the butt stock off by removing the tang screw and sliding the stock back and off and look there...I hope this helps.
In your case you say you found a z on the hammer on the tang,in that case there would be no serial number evident,however,when the serial numbers were stamped on the trigger shoe under the hammer those years were also serial numbered on the side of the upper tang hidden under the wood inlet ,so if you don't find one take the butt stock off by removing the tang screw and sliding the stock back and off and look there...I hope this helps.
In your case you say you found a z on The right side and a 39602 on the left you said under the stock .was that on the tang where the hammer goes through?that should be your serial number the z may possibly be the year code “1964” is z .if your stock is original look at the end grain that butts to the receiver the serial number is also stamped there you may have to clean a few years of crud off of the end to see it.mine is a 1966and it had the number on the left but no year code (ab) 1966 on the metal but it had both on the stock end,I seem to remember a marking on my forearm too,why isn’t it on your trigger ironi don’t know .is it really untouched or has the rifle been refinished and maybe the refinished got crazy at the serial umber area and shaded it off,unlikely for a guy to do a good job and be ignorant enough to do that but you see a lot of crazy refinish flubs by home guys,I only ask this because I don’t know your experience level .no insult intended just want to help you.
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

I wonder if he ever found this info useful or even read it?