Sights for 1893

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mnovak73
Beginner

Sights for 1893

Post by Mnovak73 »

I have a model 1893 takedown 30-30 made in 1901 that I would like to use. I’ve shot the rifle and it shoots and groups very well but it shoots high and I have no more adjustment with the factory rear sight it is at its lowest setting. Both sights appear to be factory correct for the rifle and if I make any changes I would like to use period correct parts.
I have found a vintage Lyman JA tang rear sight which from what I can tell is close to period correct. My question is what period correct front sight was used with the tang style rear sight? Should I stay with the brass looking blade sight that is on the rifle? I have seen some Lyman ivory dot type front sights which to me look like it would work better with the tang rear. I’m not sure if these were period correct? I’m looking for help on this from someone with knowledge or experience with the 1893 rifles. I have not installed the JA rear tang on my rifle yet to try it with the current front sight. Thanks in advance for any help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Sights for 1893

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mnovak73;

The simple solution is a taller front sight, which will bring the muzzle down to shoot a little lower. An ivory bead Lyman front sight would be proper for the Model 1893, just find one that is a little taller than the sight now on the rifle. And, the ivory bead sight would work with your Lyman JA tang mounted sight. The only problem is, you will find yourself trying to sight around the rear sight now on the gun, which you may want to remove it and install a blank in the slot if you go that route.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Mnovak73
Beginner

Post by Mnovak73 »

That’s exactly what I was thinking, now I just need to find a period correct front sight that is a little taller than the brass blade currently on the rifle.
I will also need to locate a filler plate for the rear sight when removed.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Marlin made their "German silver" front blade sight for the 1893 in several heights. Occasionally they show up on Ebay, or Gunbroker, if you keep looking daily. They usually get pretty good money since they're old and collectible! Other period aftermarket Lyman brass or ivory bead front sights also show up at the same places, and generally go a little less money.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!