early ballard solid breechblock

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ballardboy
Beginner

early ballard solid breechblock

Post by ballardboy »

hi all. new to the forum. i have several marlin ballards and several marlins as well my latest is an early ball and williams with solid breech block. i find parts are nonexistent. all works well just need a main spring and the trigger spring set up. a picture of the needed parts would be very helpful. if anyone has any of these parts or a picture please let me know. thanks. mike
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: early ballard solid breechblock

Post by marlinman93 »

The early Ball & Williams solid breech blocks were made up to around serial number 9000, and then they went to the common split breech blocks. Those springs were a double hairpin shaped mainspring that used a link to interact with the hammer. I doubt anyone has one, or will ever offer one as a replacement, since these guns are not that common. Your only option is for a gunsmith to make one, and hope it holds up. The little tip that holds the link was very fragile, and subject to failing, even when they were fairly new.
The trigger return spring is easy to make, and very similar to all later trigger springs.
If you don't have John Dutcher's book on Ballard history, I'd find a copy. On page 15 he covers this breech block, and had nice images of what they look like.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
ballardboy
Beginner

Post by ballardboy »

hi, thanks for reply. since there is a link involved i may have the original spring. there was one in the block that i thought was incorrect upon a closer look it may just need the link . seems like the link would just be a flat type piece.?? i am used to the hook over pin type links, but not this type.as far as trigger spring it seems it would be a pin with a spring behind it in a threaded hole with a plug type screw holding it in kind of like a stevens marksman mainspring setup. not the typical U shaped spring. thanks again. mike
ballardboy
Beginner

Post by ballardboy »

hi all, would really like a picture of this block and related parts if anyone has one. thanks. mike
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The original mainspring has a "hook" on the end that's open on the top for the link to rest in. If your mainspring doesn't have the hook on the end, it's likely broken off, which is typical of this design. The link is just a short flat piece, but I believe it was originally pinned to stay as part of the unit.
ballardboy
Beginner

Post by ballardboy »

wow just noticed this is the first ballard post in 2 years . :? ???
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Seems like very few of us Ballard fans on this site. If I make a Ballard post it often goes without a reply from anyone, so not something I do very often.
ballardboy
Beginner

Post by ballardboy »

hi, seems to be the case. is there a better place to be ?? thanks. mike
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

ballardboy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:27 pm hi, seems to be the case. is there a better place to be ?? thanks. mike
For Ballard and many other single shot rifles, the ASSRA forum has much more talk on these subjects.

https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Hate to direct anyone away from here, but just doesn't seem to be much interest in the single shot rifles that Marlin, and predecessors built here.
I am "marlinguy" on the ASSRA forum.
ballardboy
Beginner

Post by ballardboy »

thanks