Newb needs help

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Lenny1949
Beginner

Newb needs help

Post by Lenny1949 »

I was just given a marlin Ballard pacific #5 that has been on the wall for a long time. It’s in overall good condition , but it is missing the firing pin, the retaining pin for that firing pin and the ejector. Any ide,a if this is worth restoring? The rest is all clean, wood is in great shape. It formerly was owned by a police officer who took decent care of it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Oh yes it is set #1591.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Newb needs help

Post by marlinman93 »

The firing pin is actually retained by a screw, not a pin. Parts are tough to find, but the firing pins are easy for any gunsmith to make. Might contact Wyoming Armory in Cody, Wy. as the owners used to build the Ballard rifles and can make the new pin, and probably have the retaining screw. They should also be able to male the ejector, or maybe have one. Distant Thunder Gun Parts also sells the ejectors, and might be able to help with the firing pin.

Considering how little your Pacific needs to get it shooting again, it's well worth doing so if the bore is good. But even if the bore needed relining it's still worth fixing it. The #1591 could be either a JM Marlin or Marlin Forearms marked receiver. If it's a JM Marlin, then it's a very early Pacific and made in around 1877 or so.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Lenny1949
Beginner

Post by Lenny1949 »

Thank you so much for your information. The receiver is marked JM Marlin New Haven...two lines including the Ballard patent date in 1861. I will contact the two possible sources of parts. If I can get them I will then look for a competent gunsmith to do the work. I will keep you “posted” again many thanks.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Installing the parts is about as simple as any gun project could be. Especially for the firing pin and it's retainer screw. The extractor might need fitting, so maybe a gunsmith for that would be a plus.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Lenny1949
Beginner

Post by Lenny1949 »

I was able to speak with the folks at Wyoming on Friday. They were very helpful. I have forwarded pictures to them to have a “look” at my aballard. Looks like it’s an early Pacific about 1877 by the serial number. I’m learning a lot as this moves along. I will post again as I hear from them. Many thanks
Lenny