1895 33 CF

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rsummerfield
Beginner

1895 33 CF

Post by rsummerfield »

Howdy, I just got this 1895 in 33 CF. It has been passed down after the passing from my great grandfather, grandfather, and just recently my father to me. The big question is should I have it re-blued and the wood refinished? I plan on passing down to my son and grandson. My father never had it done because he didn't want to ruin the collectable value. I want to keep it for family. I have ordered the reloading dies for it since I reload and plan on it being a shooting gun. I also hot a win model 71 in 358Win and a pre 64 win model 94 in 30-30. Same questions apply. I intend to keep in family. I am in my 60s and these guns put meat on our table when we were really poor. They mean the world to me. Grandpa died in 58. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bob
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1895 33 CF

Post by marlinman93 »

There's absolutely no way I would ever restore a gun that had been in my family for this length of time, and number of generations before me! All the wear and tear, marks, etc., were put on by YOUR ancestors, and I'd not want to be the guy remembered in the future as the one who destroyed the history left on this 1895 Marlin.
If this gun was in very bad shape, and had no family history, it would be different. But the fact it does, and the fact you don't plan to let it leave the family is even more reason not to alter it in any way.
Most gun owners would love to have the chance to maintain and own a firearm that was in their family for generations. Consider yourself very fortunate to be able to, and leave it the same way you inherited it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!