1898 recoil safety hook

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

gonefishin485
Beginner

1898 recoil safety hook

Post by gonefishin485 »

so i am in the process of restoring a model 17 and when the gun came to me it was completely missing the recoil safety hook and screw.

ive found the parts between ebay or gunbroker or numrich, but i have a question. does the model 17 use the old style single piece block and hook? or does it use the two piece block and hook?

for reference it has the hang fire release button on the side of the frame and i THINK (but i could be wrong) that it takes the 1 piece block with the hook made onto it, however before i place my order id like someone who knows more about these than i do to confirm if this gun uses the 1 or 2 piece block.

any help would be appreciated!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1898 recoil safety hook

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gonefishin485;

The Model 17 did not come out until 1906. The two piece recoil block was patented in 1904. The Model 17 barrel markings list the 1904 patent date, so it really should have the two piece recoil block. Just e sure that you get the correct pieces. There are two different two piece recoil blocks and levers. The later style has the lever that hangs down beside the trigger guard to release the system.
Frankly, I think the two piece recoil block is the better system from the shotguns I have had.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

alright, two piece it is. thanks for that bit of information.

i have one last question while i have you here however...

on the two piece setup for the model 17, is the correct safety hook the one with or without the spring on the hook arm itself?
or are they interchangeable?

i see there are a few on ebay and one has the spring on the hook and one doesnt, just want to confirm the correct arm before i place my order.

thanks again
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Gonefishin485;

You need the one with the spring, it helps the system work. If there is one without the spring, it is because the spring is broken.

gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

you are correct sir, disregard that question, i was looking on ebay and one hook i saw didnt have a spring or what looked like a place for a spring, turns out it was just full of gunk in the spring slot and you couldnt tell until you zoomed in.

thanks again for the help
gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

well... story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. as i was waiting on monday for my paycheck to clear the bank, someone bought the parts i needed off of ebay. i found a 1 piece recoil block and hook on numrich, so my question is will the 1 piece block work or does it need to be the two piece?

again this isnt a mint resto, this is just going to be a functional wall hanger so im not concerned about period correct, im just wanting all the parts there.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Gonefishin485;

Lesson learned! You should have gone ahead and bought the parts as you can usually get a day or two before you have to pay on eBay.

As to the one piece recoil block, I never had a chance to work with one as my shotguns were later and had the two piece blocks. It should work. After all, Marlin did use it for nearly 4 years before using the newer, improved two piece blocks. Just make sure it has the spring on the bottom of the block.

gonefishin485
Beginner

Post by gonefishin485 »

Happens to the best of us I suppose. The one I'm looking at now definitely has the spring on the bottom and that's my only reason for considering buying it, since all the ones on Ebay and gun broker are missing the springs.

I was assuming the one piece hook would interchange but just wanted to confirm before I ordered it. For what it's worth this gun isn't going to be taken hunting or out to the skeet range. It's going to be a wall hanger but I'd still like it to be functional.

Thanks for your help and if there's anything else you would like to add or share with me about the model 17, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again