Marlin 1893

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

newmarlinfan
Beginner

Marlin 1893

Post by newmarlinfan »

I have a Marlin 1893 That I believe was manufactured in 1894 serial number 96674. The barrel and receiver is very worn meaning other than the Marlin safety that is stamped on the top of the receiver and the serial number on the bottom of the receiver by the fore end there are no other markings.I'm trying to see if I can find out for sure what caliber the rifle is. I'm thinking at that time they were only manufactured in 38/55 and 32/40. So I'm thinking this is a 32/40. Also because of the date of manufacture I'm assuming It's before smokeless powder. I believe it's the original barrel mated to the receiver because there is one number that I can find on the top of the barrel in front of rear sight and it has the same first number as the serial number on the bottom of the receiver. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this rifle that I inherited from my father.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893

Post by marlinman93 »

Early Model 1893 Marlins wont have a rollstamp on the top tang so yours not having one is correct. The cartridge is stamped on top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver. Often pretty lightly stamped, so use a magnifying glass and you'll probably read it.
If you were to slug the bore it will also tell you the groove diameter, and that should determine if it's a .38-55 or a .32-40 also.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
newmarlinfan
Beginner

Post by newmarlinfan »

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have looked on the top of the barrel underneath the ramp sight And it is not visible that I can see. Is it possible with the serial number to get the exact date of manufacture and how the rifle was chambered? Also I have put 32/40 cartridges in the magazine and one single cartridge will load and eject fine but multiple cartridges in the magazine it will always jam when trying to chamber a round. ( I have not and will not try to fire it with modern ammo). I believe the carrier needs replaced do you have a source I could check with to see about getting another carrier? Also Do you have any idea of possible value? It is well-worn but not rusted and rifling is shiny and not pitted but butt stock is cracked behind receiver and in poor shape. Thank you again!!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Newmarlinfan;

According to the old factory records, your Marlin Model 1893 with serial number 96674 left the factory in mid 1893 with a 26 inch octagon barrel in .38-55 caliber.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.