Marlin Take Down Rifles

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mike Faires
Pro-Marksman

Marlin Take Down Rifles

Post by Mike Faires »

Has anyone done a study on the correlation of takedown versus solid frame rifles Marlin produced. If so can someone point me in the right direction. If not I solicit all of you to provide any information you have on the subject and I will correlate the information. If you would like to contribute provide the Model number, caliber, barrel length, stock style, serial number if you feel comfortable, any special features such as engaving, pistol grip stock, checkering, special sights, factory sling swivels. As the data is assimilated I will share with all upon request.

Mike Faires
Mike Faires
Pro-Marksman

Marllin Takedown

Post by Mike Faires »

I've decided to begin with the two I own and the identified rifles in Brophy's book.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

To the extent it helps I have the following 1893's:

38-55 1894 man.
30-30 1902 man.
32-40 1903 Man
32-40 1904 man.
32-40 BP Only Ser 4267** Takedown
25-36 1904 man.
25-36 1905 man.
93 30-30 C44**

Hope that helps.
GBOT, GBUSA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mike;

I am not sure you understand the task you are trying to undertake without knowing what is in the actual factory records. A comparison of solid frames vs. takedown actions will be difficult to correlate without some sort of idea of the real production figures of the models in question.
The takedown feature was more than a special order item for deluxe guns. It allowed the owner of the gun to disassemble it for easier cleaning and transport. It also allowed the owner to have one receiver, and more than one caliber or configuration of barrels in one gun so to speak. Multiple barrel sets are not listed in the records, even though we know they exist. The serial number of the receiver is listed, and only one caliber and configuration of the barrel will be listed for that number.
From Volume 1, Number 13 of The Marlin Collector, is a breakdown of the Model 1895's. The total number of 1895's listed in the factory records is 5,289. Of those, only 468 were listed as takedown or 9 percent of the listed production. Now, these records are by no means complete as I have a deluxe, 30 inch barrel, takedown action 1895 that is NOT listed in the factory records. The record for that number is blank (like so many records). The Model 1893 and 1894 records have not been broken down like the Model 1895, so we do not know the percentage of takedowns vs. solid frame in those models. There were 28 of the Model 1889's listed in the records as takedown (out of a production figure of 55,119, and frankly, I beleive there are more than that, that are listed as Model 1894's in the records).
I hope this helps.