1895?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Emer1

1895?

Post by Emer1 »

New to this board and certainly not a lever action guy. I was pointed in the direction of this board after visiting another.

I frequently buy guns from a shop in Scandinavia. Almost always Sakos. The owner had two lever actions that he has currently that have sparked some interest for me.

Since I cannot post pictures I will describe them as best as I can. Any help would be appreciated.

The first is what I think is a Marlin 95. The caliber is .45-90. The action is a wonderful case hardened color. The barrel is 26” and is ½ octagon ½ round. The magazine ends near the end of the ½ octagon. It has a blade front sight and buckhorn rear with elevator. Action states “Marlin Safety” and appears to bin very good shape. Wood looks nice, no checkering. Only blemish appears to be a spot in the wood right in front of butt stock swivel loops. This might also be the Marlin ivory plug, but cannot tell for sure. Metal appears in good shape and my guy at the shop says bore is fine. Barrel has barrel band that may or may not be original. Rifle seems to have a shotgun butt stock or a very shallow ½ moon like other Win 94s I have seen.

The other gun is a Win 94 Take Down in .32-40. Bore is fine, blade front sight with buckhorn rear. Octagon barrel maybe 26”. Screws extent through pistol grip that would indicate maybe a peep sight was removed. Metal is fine. Wood is ok with maybe a chip near receiver. Serial number is 144051.

Any help would be appreciated especially on the Marlin. I do have pictures that I can send as well.

Thanks,
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

double post sorry
Last edited by Sure-Shot on Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GBOT, GBUSA
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

If there was anyway to get there I would snap up that 45-90 as fast as I could dish out the money. There are few around anymore, fewer in decent shape. The half oct/half rnd with 1/2 mag is another plus. The rifle could be ordered with the steel but plate or a rubber one. It is very collectable. It should be noted the half mag would be special order as would the barrel so there are at least two special order items. If you can get the serial number we can tell you when it was made. (When Reigner checks in he may be able to tell you the configuration it left the factory in by serial number so you know if it is original.) If it is in original configuration it would be in the 2500-3000 dollar range from your description if it is pre 1898.
GBOT, GBUSA
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

If this 1895 Marlin 45/90 is for sale please contact me at keith@rea-alp.
com. Thank you!
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

Can you please send me pics of the Marlin 1895 45/90? keith@rea-alp.com
Thank you!
Emer1

Post by Emer1 »

Guns are not for sale, heck I don't even own them yet!
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

My apologies to you, Sir. I should have read your post more closely.
Model 1895's Marlin are very difficult to find in 45/90 & are considered
a very good catch for the Marlin collector. Hope you buy the gun!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like a very nice gun, but as you mentioned I think the barrel band is not original. The band would have been found on a carbine only, and carbines did not have 1/2 octagon barrels. Other than that it sounds correct.
What is the barrel length?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Emer1

Post by Emer1 »

I think that the barrel length is 26, but can not be sure.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... C_ID=71866

Since I can not put pictures on this sight you can visit them on site above.
Emer1

Post by Emer1 »

Received more new detailed pictures last night. The Marlin is a 1895 in .45-90 as I have described before. The barrel length is 65cm or 25.5" according to my guy. Serial number is 315,XXX. Barrel is fine little to no pitting. "Special Smokeless Steel" stamping. Rec. appears to have just a little pitting on left side. Screws for the most part look in good shape, only ones on rec. tang look like they have been turned. Wood in good shape for age... maybe one small splinter missing on forearm on right side.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Normally guns of this configuration would have a forearm cap, rather than a barrel band. Sounds like it's been slightly modified with a carbine style forearm and band. Still, they are rare, and desireable.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Emer1

Post by Emer1 »

Marlinman93,

Were you able to view the pictures on the other site? What do you mean by forearm cap. Isn't that a forearm cap at the end of the stock?

Can you give me rough period of manufacture?

Thanks for all the help guys.
Emer1

Post by Emer1 »

Found out today that the rec. bridge has been tapped for a scope mount. Professionally repaired. What does this do to value of an otherwise 80% gun?
wincollector
Beginner

Post by wincollector »

Emer1,

Hello, Hey I was wondering if you still have this 1895 Marlin in your posession? If you do Could I get you to Take a picture of where it goes into 1/2 Round from the 1/2 Oct.. Rebuilding one and my Barrel Maker needs this info. Thanks

Wincollector
Cap Rountree
SASS 6056L
TG Mad River Rangers
Mad River Rangers
Darrell #2
BCVC #18
HGFG #42
WASA #99
SBSS #108
NCOWS #1954
Chabot County Regulators
Ukiah Posse

"No Brag Just Fact". Walter Brennen "The Guns of Will Sonet".
Sakogun
Beginner

Guns on their way!

Post by Sakogun »

Finally have this Marlin and a Win 1894 TD in .32-40 on the way over the pond. As soon as I get the guns I will give more details. :D