Refinishing CCH M1893 Receiver

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jackman
Beginner

Refinishing CCH M1893 Receiver

Post by jackman »

Can the color-case hardened receiver of a M1893 be successfully refinished? I know it would be a cardinal sin, but could it be successfully blued to match the rest of the gun? Finally, if some misguided soul did blue a CCH receiver, could the CCH be restored? Thanks, I'm trying to understand my options as I seek out model 93s.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

If the CCH receiver lacked any color, it could be re case-hardened by one of the companies that specialize in that process. I cannot imagine bluing an 1893 receiver under any circumstances. - I'm one of the Marlin nuts that believes in the preservation angle of collecting.

Anyone may play with their toys as pleases them, though. However, should the person that did such a thing ever lose interest in it and put it up for sale or trade, the value will not be anywhere near what was anticipated.

Do some checking via search engine to see what the difference in price between re-bluing and re-color case hardening is. You might be surprised to see the figures are within sight of one another. That is to say, if you had the funds for a re-blue, it would not take a great deal of saving to accumulate what was necessary for the case hardening operation. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!