marlin ballard

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

penny
Beginner

marlin ballard

Post by penny »

Dear Sirs,
My father has a Marlin Ballard Single Shot Lever Action that belonged to my great-grandfather. J. M. Marlin New Haven, Conn. USA Patented February 9, 1876 Ballard's Patent Nov. 5, 1861 Ser. # 9969
Problem is, we can't figure out the model or the caliber. If anyone has a clue about this rifle, please let me know. Also, the rifle is all original and in average condition for age and use.
Thank You,
Penny
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Penny;

There are about a dozen different versions of the Marlin Ballard. You would have to answer a series of questions to help identify which version you have. In many cases, the caliber marking is on the top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver. This is necessary to narrow down the version.

1. Is the stock a straight grip or a pistol grip?
2. Does it have a single trigger or double set triggers/
3. Is the barrel full octagon, full round or half-round-half octagon?
4. Describe the lever. Does it have a single loop at the rear, a four finger loop or no loop at all?
5. Is the action engraved?
6. Is there a wood rod mounted under the barrel?
7. Does it have a crescent shaped butt plate or a shotgun style, or a schutzen style butt plate? (prongs at the top and bottom)
8. Is the wood checkered?
9. Describe the sights.

The fact that this is a J. M. Marlin Ballard helps a little. The J. M. Marlin Ballards were made from 1875 to 1881. There are some versions only made by J. M. Marlin and not by the Marlin Firearms Company.
Looking forward to your reply.
penny
Beginner

Post by penny »

Dear Regnier,

As far as the caliber, the stamp could not be read. The stock is a straight grip. Single trigger. Full octagon barrel. S lever w/ no loop. The action is not engraved. No wood rod under the barrel. Crescent shaped butt. The wood is checkered (I thought it was just ground-in dirt from over the years). The rear sight is elevated at a back angle w/ round peep hole. The front sight is what I think you call a globe.

I hope the info I am able to give you helps determine the model & year. If you need more info, I can give my Mom a call. The rifle is in CA and I'm back home in NE.

Thank you for your help,
Penny
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Penny;

The straight grip, checkered stock has me slowed down a little, so do you know, is this rifle larger in caliber than a .22?
Any version could have been ordered with checkered stocks, so this does not surprise me totally, but it is a little unusual with a crescent butt plate and straight grip stock. The caliber would help tremendously!!
It sounds like a wrist area mounted peep sight. Does it have a screw adjustment on the side of the "ladder" section or does the eye cup unscrew to change the elevation
There are not that many straight grip, non-engraved versions, so we will figure this out. (if only we had the caliber it would be some much easier)
Frankly, my first guess is this is a Number 2 Sporting rifle. They were made in a number of different calibers and can be found with about any option available at the time.
Looking forward to your reply.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Can you have your mom measure the inside diameter of the barrel, going from the inside edge of the barrel to inside edge on the oposite side crossing the center. If someone in the family has calipers it would be much easier.
GBOT, GBUSA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

It's not all that unusual for an early JM Marlin Ballard to not have a caliber marking on the barrel. I have three from this era, and none of them have the caliber marked on them.
Picture would sure help here, if your parents have a camera and could email you a picture?
Does it look like this Ballard? But with the "S" lever? This is a #2.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!